Who wants to be a guild champion?
Guild champions are almost certainly coming back in Dragon’s Maze. So which guilds will have returning champions and which will have new ones? I’ve composed a top ten that gives the likelihood of each guild’s champion returning in Dragon’s Maze.
10. Azorius - if you go by the storyline, the old Azorius champion was Isperia, but since she’s the current guild leader it seems pretty unlikely she’ll also appear as the new champion. If you go by the cycle, the champion was Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. He is also unlikely to return as a champion because he’s dead. His successor, Leonos II could be the new champion, who knows.
9. Simic - The other guild where the storyline guild leader and the cycle guild leader are switched with the champion. It probably doesn’t matter though, since Momir Vig and the Experimental Kraj are both dead and gone after the original Ravnica block storyline.
8. Rakdos - The champion of Rakdos was Izolda in the story, but Lyzolda on the card. Whether they were meant to be separate people or the same is contended. Izolda was ripped limb from limb and eaten by her fellow Rakdos guild members and is this very unlikely to return. Lyzolda, if a different character, could return but I’m betting against it.
7. Golgari - Savra was the old guild champion and sister to current guild leader Jarad. Savra was killed in the last Ravnica block, and while death alone has never been that good at keeping the Golgari down, her body was also crushed making it unlikely for her to come back even as a lich or zombie.
6. Boros - Agrus Kos was the champion of the Boros, basically a beat cop who had been doing his job so long that he couldn’t even use healing magic anymore because the chronic use might kill him. Agrus was the protagonist in the original Ravnica block, in the end he was mortally wounded and Crixizix tried to save him with a teardrop (a kind of healing potion) and it killed him. He was then brought back as a spirit in service of the Azorius. Agrus lived on as a ghost afterwards, brought back by the angel Feather, and he keeps order in Agyrem (a ghost plane of Ravnica). Since he’s a ghost it’s unlikely he’ll be back, but more likely than the rest of the other dead champions.
5. Gruul - Now we get into champions that are still alive, at least as far as we know. Ulasht was a hydra/hellion that the Gruul thought embodied their ideals. It could come back, but just as easily the Gruul could have a new champion.
4. Izzet - Instead of one champion, the Izzet have a married couple. Tibor and Lumia were masters of sky and earth respectively. They’re still alive as far as we know, and thus could return.
3. Dimir - Not much is known about Circu, but his death was never talked about so he could return for sure.
2. Selesnya - Tolsimir Wolfblood is likely to return, either with or without his trusty wolf Voja. His ability to make wolf tokens fits perfectly with Selesnya’s current mechanic, but this time they will likely not be legendary.
1. Orzhov - The one guild I would bet on hands down for returning champion is Orzhov. Teysa helped negotiate a new non-magical guild pact after the old one was broken so she has importance to the story. She also has been quoted on a few cards in RTR and GTC so we know she’s still around.